Thursday 11 June 2009

Monday 8th June 2009

CUMBRIA CONSTABULARY HEADQUARTERS, CARLETON HALL, PENRITH
(A fascinating building built in 1800 on the site of a much earlier house).

As guests of Mr Craig Mackey the Chief Constable, David and I were welcomed by the Staff Office Inspector and taken to meet the Chief Constable and his Team.We joined then for coffee and were introduced to the new Deputy Chief Constable and two Assistant Chief Constables - the Head of Personnel and the Finance Officer.

I was asked about my aims for my year. I explained that I saw myself as a facilitator and that my aim was to encourage people/businesses etc. from different parts of the County to communicate.

After this we were introduced to the Sergeant in charge of Dog Handling and Training and spent an interesting time talking to him. Unfortunately there were very few dogs there that day - they were all 'on duty'. We hope to go back to see more.

Our third appointment was with an Inspector and Constable at the Armed Response Unit. A highly dedicated group of Officers, dealing with often very extreme situations. Members of this Unit all volunteer their services.

Here, calls from throughout Cumbria are responded to having been allocated levels of priority. This complex centre is powerful and impressive.

After a buffet lunch with the Chief Constable and Officers we were taken to the Communications Centre.