Monday 14 December 2009

Friday 27th November 2009

VISIT OF HRH The Prince of Wales at Workington

I was asked bty the Lord Lieutenant if I would meet HRH The Prince of Wales at Workington at 15.15hours and was advised that as he was visiting the North Side Community Centre at Seaton it would be advisable if I allowed ample time to get there. I therefore left home at 12pm and in fact reached Seaton via Maryport at 14.00 hours. This enabled me to meet the people I was to present both at the Community Centre and later at the temporary train platform.

15.10
HRH arrived by helicopter at Seaton

15.20 - arrived by car at the Northside Community Centre where I greeted him. I introduced him to Tony Cunningham, MP for Workington, and Joe Bell, Manager of the Centre. We then accompanied him to the temporary Medical Centre on the first floor and the food stores on the ground floor. During this time I left to go on to the temporary train platform where I was to present Mrs J Kaye, Network Rail and Northern Rail Driver Team Manager, Mr Carl Hewitt, to HRH when he arrived.
HRH talked to several construction workers which delighted them all. He was very positive in his comments and everyone seemed delighted by his visit.

It was dark when we started home and it was plain to see the terrific delays that the loss of the bridges had caused to the local people.