Wednesday 2 December 2009

Tuesday 17th November 2009




JUDGE'S SERVICE - CARLISLE CATHEDRAL

The 'big day', and the weather was fine for the morning and some sun! A beautiful service with wonderful music and an excellent choir. The Master of Music at the Cathedral is Mr Jeremy Suter, and I was so grateful to him for all that he had done. A good friend from the Cathedral had helped me earlier to choose most of the music and we had two of my favourite hymns. The Old Testament reading read by His Honour Judge Batty QC, and the Gospel was read by The High Court Judge, The Hon Mr Justice David Clarke.

There must have been nearly 300 people in the Cathedral with friends from St Martin's Church, Windermere, children from The Pennine Way School, Carlisle - The Lakes School and St Anne's School, Windermere (one of whom was my granddaughter Charlotte.

The Procession was most impressive, and everyone remarked on how colourful it was.

Coffee and biscuits were served in the Refectory and the Priors Kitchen for everyone. After which I had asked if some of the children could visit Durranhill Police HQ after refreshments at the Cathedral. I am told they had a wonderful time and enjoyed being locked in the cells for a few minutes! I was so grateful to Chief Superintendent Johnson and everyone who arranged this.